Skip to main content

Trash to Treasure Mixed Media

Every week at OWSE on Wednesday night someone (usually the one of the owners-Robynann) does a tutorial on a technique.  This week I'm doing a  tutorial.
I was inspired by Lin Browns tutorial on Paper Artsy Here 

Started with a piece of cardboard 6x8.  I tore a couple of pieces of book paper and glued it in a couple of spots on the cardboard.
I ripped the top layer of the cardboard to show the inside texture.
I wanted a flower back ground, but didn't have a stencil to use. So I had some extra die cuts from a project I just finished and glued them using glossy accents to create the raised texture.
Get some baby wipes ready..... After it dried, I used 1 inch wide brush and painted the whole top with linen acrylic. Wiped the paint off the area with the words & blended around the edges-dry well.  Blended in golden harvest acrylic paint-using baby wipe to blend and smooth the edges. Dry well.  Using a stencil, I added some spots using vintage white acrylic paint-dry well.

Still using a paint brush, I added some lettuce green adirondak colorwash ink-used a baby wipe to feather the edges.
 Added sailboat blue adirondak colorwash ink. using baby wipe I tried to blend together. Added more linen acrylic paint around the edges.
 Using my finger, I rubbed antique gold fub and buff around the edges and the flowers.
 Here's the close up of all the layers showing.
 To finish it up I took my black paint pen and outlined my flowers.  Sponged some Rusty Hinge distress around the edges. Stamped a script stamp around a few areas with brown staz on ink.

Add some buttons with twine to the center of the flowers, punched holes in the top and threaded some raffia thru to hang it with, added 2 layers of butterfly with a pearl center and a little black twine for the anteannae, a Tim Holtz bird and some die cut leaves.  The sentiment came from Stampin Up. 
 Look at all the layers!  Truly a trash to treasure finale'

 This project is going to  new friend that has overcome some tremendous obstacles to start a new life with her daughter! 

3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacked Pumpkins Class

Fall is in the air!  The painters were excited to paint this great 16x20 Social Art-networking Design!  The did a fabulous job!  They learned how to use their paintbrushes to create thin lines as well as thick ones.  Dry-brushing technique.  The #2 round brush is perfect for the vines surrounding the bottom of the pumpkins.

 We had some first timers and some seasoned painters. Everyone had a great time!

Happy Birthday with Paper Artsy stamps/masking

I was inspired by the current challenge at Paper Artsy-masking.  I've created this card using a different kind of masking. I brayed paint onto my gelli plate and this pushed the Paper Artsy flower stamps into the paint. Then I pulled the print. Wow!! The stamp pulled the paint off creating a negative space. I hightlighted the stamps with watercolor pencils. Did some additional stamping with Paper Artsy vine, then stamped The Happy Birthday sentiment from Stampin Up.  Added 3 die cut flowers on top with dimensional s to finish the card. I LOVE how it turned out!! I hope this inspires you!!!

Christmas Tag with Unity

Starting my Christmas cards. To get inspired, I looked into some challenges.  
Stamping: Unity Grunge; Distressed inks
Take it Make It October challenge: Craft Stamper Magazine: anything goes
Simon says Wednesday Challenge: Christmas