Skip to main content

Fun technique using distress paint and scripture!

***FUN with distress paint and scripture***

I was so inspired by the way Antoinette at Inspired Stamps memorizes scripture.

I was also inspired by the new challenge at Faber-Castell with Mou.  
"Using favorite words to live by"

I already love doing encouraging cards and art. 
I recently got some of  Tim Holtz distress paints.
You can create a wide variety of looks with them.
I started with some mixed media paper.  If you haven't used any-you need to try it.
It absorbs the inks and other mediums you use without breaking down.
Sorry this pic ended up upside down! LOL
Hope it doesn't make you dizzy!!

Colors used Vintage photo, Barn Red, Mustard seed


Shake them well-they are paint and have to be mixed good before using them.  Then dab them on your craft sheet. I dab-dab-dab and then rub-rub-rub in a circular motion.  when you get the paint where you want it-spritz it with water.  The water activates the paint.


This is a picture of the leftovers on the Kraft mat.  Below is the first swipe I did using a white piece of regular card stock.  The great thing about this technique is the paint goes a long way.  i don't waste any of it!  I have several pieces of paper ready and swipe them until it's all absorbed and gone from the mat.
 After the paper dried-I spritz it good with some Vanilla Shimmer smooch spritz.  Allow that to dry well.  Since I do several pieces of papers at a time-I usually dry overnight so I can't tell you exactly how long it takes.  If your like me, we have other projects going-so lay them aside and work on something else.
Once dry, I cut it to the size I need.  In this case, I'm making a standard card, so I cut it 4x5.25.  That way I can back it on brown card stock to attach to my white card base. I then stamped this cracked stamp over the whole page using Brown Archival Ink. 

I save all my scraps-so I grabbed an ivory piece to stamp my scripture on.  As you can see from my stamp-I use this one a lot! It's one of my favorites.

This stamp set also includes some stitching stamps, so I used the small X's to go around the scripture, then cut the edge with my decorative scissors.

I can't do a piece without using Tim Holtz distress ink! It adds so much character to any project.  After going around the edges smudging it in, I also rubbed it on just the edges to get them a little darker.

I cut some hearts and some raffetta.  Tied the raffetta across the top of the background page before attaching it to the brown card stock with score tape. Using dimensional pop dots I added the sentiment & hearts to finish the card. 

Here's my finished card!  It's totally AWESOME!  Love this technique.
This would also look really good framed.  It could easily be made to fit a 5x7 frame.
Below is a close up showing the dimension.



 Thanks so much for the inspiration Inspired Stamps and Faber-Castell!  I hope you'll be inspired to give it a try yourself. 

Complete list of products used:
Tim Holtz distress paint  mustard seed, vintage photo, barn red
Tim Holtz distress ink vintage photo
Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz
1/4" Scor-Tape
Kraft Mat
Raffetta
Stampin Up Hearts punch
Staz-on Jet Black
Archival Ink Coffee
Inspired Stamps
Mark's Finest Paper and Stamps-You Crack Me Up
Stampin' dimensionals
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stacked Pumpkins Class

Fall is in the air!  The painters were excited to paint this great 16x20 Social Art-networking Design!  The did a fabulous job!  They learned how to use their paintbrushes to create thin lines as well as thick ones.  Dry-brushing technique.  The #2 round brush is perfect for the vines surrounding the bottom of the pumpkins.

 We had some first timers and some seasoned painters. Everyone had a great time!

Christmas Tag with Unity

Starting my Christmas cards. To get inspired, I looked into some challenges.  
Stamping: Unity Grunge; Distressed inks
Take it Make It October challenge: Craft Stamper Magazine: anything goes
Simon says Wednesday Challenge: Christmas

DecoArt new Premium Acrylic Mixed Media Paint Home Project

Recycling and creating something new has always been one of my favorite things to do.   The square "shadow box" I've been saving for quite some time and now have forgotten what came in it.  It's part of packaging. The initial C I purchased from Joanne's. The "shadowbox" had a couple of layers in the bottom. Gesso, white acrylic, dry brushed black, titan buff. I used a small round brush to paint in the lines.   The new Premium Acrylic paint leaves behind a satin finish.  Really nice. The background -which is a recycled 16x20 canvas coated in white gesso, was painted with Americana Deep Burgundy. Once dry, I dry brushed some Titan Buff (Premium acrylic) randomly. I painted the C in black premium acrylic.  Glued it to the bottom right corner of the shadowbox with tacky glue. I used a whie Posca pen to write my favorite verse around the edges of the shadowbox.  I used Tacky glue and hot glue to adhere the flowers.  I like to use both. Hot glue helps it sti…