***Paint Classes***

***Paint Classes***
CLASSES HELD AT YOUR DESIRED VENUE

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Trash to Treasure Mixed Media

Every week at OWSE on Wednesday night someone (usually the one of the owners-Robynann) does a tutorial on a technique.  This week I'm doing a  tutorial.
I was inspired by Lin Browns tutorial on Paper Artsy Here 

Started with a piece of cardboard 6x8.  I tore a couple of pieces of book paper and glued it in a couple of spots on the cardboard.
I ripped the top layer of the cardboard to show the inside texture.
I wanted a flower back ground, but didn't have a stencil to use. So I had some extra die cuts from a project I just finished and glued them using glossy accents to create the raised texture.
Get some baby wipes ready..... After it dried, I used 1 inch wide brush and painted the whole top with linen acrylic. Wiped the paint off the area with the words & blended around the edges-dry well.  Blended in golden harvest acrylic paint-using baby wipe to blend and smooth the edges. Dry well.  Using a stencil, I added some spots using vintage white acrylic paint-dry well.

Still using a paint brush, I added some lettuce green adirondak colorwash ink-used a baby wipe to feather the edges.
 Added sailboat blue adirondak colorwash ink. using baby wipe I tried to blend together. Added more linen acrylic paint around the edges.
 Using my finger, I rubbed antique gold fub and buff around the edges and the flowers.
 Here's the close up of all the layers showing.
 To finish it up I took my black paint pen and outlined my flowers.  Sponged some Rusty Hinge distress around the edges. Stamped a script stamp around a few areas with brown staz on ink.

Add some buttons with twine to the center of the flowers, punched holes in the top and threaded some raffia thru to hang it with, added 2 layers of butterfly with a pearl center and a little black twine for the anteannae, a Tim Holtz bird and some die cut leaves.  The sentiment came from Stampin Up. 
 Look at all the layers!  Truly a trash to treasure finale'

 This project is going to  new friend that has overcome some tremendous obstacles to start a new life with her daughter! 

3 comments:

cathy said...

Hi Karen, wanted to come by and say hello and personally thank you for the comment on my blog. It means a lot to me that I know people are out there cheering me on. Yes, keep me in your prayers and wish me luck. PS I love the piece you created in this post. Are you following 21 Secrets? Seeing what you made makes me think you would love it
THanks again! Cathy

Marisa Job said...

I love this card!! It turned out beautiful!!

Rachel said...

You have some lovely things on your blog, thanks for sharing your link - I like this piece a lot!

Fluid Art with DecoArt Interference Paint

I've been experimenting with fluid art.   Trying to get cells to create is hard! I've tried multiple mediums, multiple products.  Th...