Skip to main content

Mixed Media Technique

I shared this technique with my OWSE group.  We have art technique class every Wednesday evening at 7PM.  I hope you'll join us.

 I found these butterfly images on pintrest-free!  Printed and fussy cut them.  Used collage glue to attach to my 8x10 canvas. (as well as that scrap piece of DP) I made a gesso wash by adding some water to my acrylic gesso (Traditions gesso) and went over top of my beautiful butterflies.  Dry well before moving on.
 I mixed a rust and turquoise color using traditions acrylic paint.  Smeared across my canvas with a palette knife. Dry really well before moving onto the next step.
Apply another wash of gesso on top to dull own the color and push everything to the background. Allow to dry well.
 Using a 3x4 stamp (Hero ARts) I stamped from top to bottom with brown Archival Ink. As you can see-it doesn't matter that its the same pattern-it blends into the background.   I also did the same thing using some words stamps and black archival ink.  If it's still darker than you want-do a last wash with gesso and dry.
 Then add your embellishments and words. 
The words is from a Christian song by Johnny Diaz-More Beautiful you.

 Here's a close up of my chipboard bird. I put gesso on it, painted then stamped and coated it in crackle medium. Turned out so cool!  I used one of my background butterflies to put on the back of my Prima Riley Stamp. Loved that too!


More Beautiful you will be for sale at my Etsy store. HERE

3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Christmas Canister-Recycled with Deco Art

I had a small coffee canister and immediately knew I had to alter it! Does that happen to you? I used some new products from Deco Arts. Their Metallic Wax Finish covered the slick surface of the canister. See the tutorial at the end of the post. Want to get in on a challenge with some prizes?? Check it out at Party Time Tuesdays!
**I tried several adhesives in order to glue down embellishments on this wax product. E6000 is the only one that I finally got to work.




Under the Sea with DecoArt

DecoArt is having a challenge "Under the Sea" 
I love mermaids.  I knew what I wanted to do immediately. Using DecoArt Metallic Lustre products was a must!!.

 I used Traditions acrylics and did the background.  Painted my mermaid totally with Metallic Lustres. You can purchase any and all DecoArt products-HERE.

List of Metallic Lustre Colors by DecoArt:
Fab Fuchia
Black Shimmer
Rose Gold
Magestic Purple
Elegant Emerald
Iced Espresso
Cosmic Blue

List of Traditions Acrylic paint by DecoArt:
Hansa Yellow
Naphtol Red
Cobalt Blue
White


DecoArt Americana Paint is best for Gelli Prints

I love making gelli prints.  I've used a variety of types of paints.  The best I've found is DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints.  The consistency of the paint is perfect for spreading on the gelli plate. 
 On all the background gelli prints I used DecoArt Jacobean Floral stencil and the following Americana paint: Autumn Red, Antique Rose, Cadmium Yellow, and Moon Yellow. I changed which order I was putting them on the plate. This first one I embellished with Unity Stamps I'm so Happy and Ribbon by Really Reasonable Ribbon.  New Dawn Rooster by Unity Stamps and Wild Orchid Flowers.

 This last card-you can really tell how using numerous gelli prints together is like having matching designer paper!!  Except you created it yourself! The sentiment is from Unity Stamps, flowers from Wild Orchid and Flourishes. I hope you're inspired to design your own cards. Everyone loves getting a handmade card!
Entering the following challenges:Mojo Monday challenge 464-last card is usi…